My Garden

My Garden

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

God's Hand in All Things

Today I held a luncheon and class with several of my friends.  We learned more about the Feingold diet.  As I was reflecting back on my journey to find the Fiengold information, I became more aware of guidance from God that I was getting all along.
First, as mentioned in my first blog, about a year ago I was told by God to change Isaac's diet.  I made a few changes here and there but nothing drastic and no big improvements with his behavior.  About six months after this, as I was doing laundry, the Spirit said to me "it is time to change things with your family."  I asked questions about what to change.  I didn't get any clear answers at this time.  A couple days later, after discussing with my husband some ideas for change, I had a vision while meditating.  In this vision I saw the children serving each other dinner.  One child was playing the waiter/waitress and handing the other family members their plates.  My interpretation of this vision at this time was connected to service.  "My children need to serve each other more" was my thought.  We did implement this new change and the children had fun with it for about a week and then it simply did not sustain itself.  As I look back on this vision, could it have been literally meant to call my attention to the food we were serving but I missed it?  I now think perhaps so.
Next prompt, Isaac brought home a paper from school with information about the Feingold diet.  I placed it in my "look at later when I have time pile" and lost track of it.  Each time I sifted through this "pile" I would discard the paper but always felt a need to retrieve it and would place it back into the  "pile" for later.  All summer the paper waited until I had enough time.  Finally I made time and as soon as I looked up the website I knew this was exactly what I had been praying for. Why did it take me so long to get it?
Why didn't God just come out and say.  "Liza, you need to implement the Fiengold Diet in your family."  Why not be more clear?  I think we can see this in how Jesus taught with parables.  "Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." Matt 13:43.  When/If God speaks to us exactly, then we are obligated to obey and held accountable if we do not obey.  If He speaks to us in clues, symbolism, uncertainties we are not held accountable if we do not understand clearly.  It is in fact very merciful of Him.  I'm grateful to have finally understood the clues I was given.  I acknowledge God's hand in my life.  (There were many other connections and clues given but fall under the "much to mystical and psychic to mention in this blog" category so if you would like more of this info just call :)).

Now to report on the much progress in our home over the last week.  Amazing!  We have not had to tell Annie to "glue her bottom to the chair" while we are eating dinner.  We have not had long nights of homework because it was done at school with the extra time from finishing their work early.  All the children played together for a couple hours on Sunday and no one cried once. (This truly is a miracle).  Annie's primary (church) teacher said she was the only child who sat quietly in class.  Which is amazing considering just a few months ago this teacher had pulled me aside to discuss what we could do to help Annie be more reverent in class.  Eli's true self isn't being overcome with fierce anger anymore.  And Emma, well she's three and not much has changed with her yet :).




The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next.
Amen.
Reinhold Niebuhr

2 comments:

  1. Liza, I loved wandering through your blog! And what a cute name. When Peter and I first married he would not eat anything artificial (the Dutch are very finicky about their food being fresh and real!) and had me looking at labels right from the start. I'm sure our diet has not been as strict as yours, I didn't have the knowledge, but I'm curious. I googled it...I love that Google can answer all my questions...and need to find out more - like that salicylate acid?? I've never had any problems with my children (well, regarding attention or ADHD!) and maybe I can attribute it all to my husband's pickiness for real flavors and no preservatives...pretty funny! He'll take all the credit, I'm sure! If I tell him. We've slacked a little, now it's mostly me insisting on the no artificial stuff. I do like to cook a lot from scratch, and my kids like those foods the best. But we do eat stuff that I'm sure is not on your diet's list, when I need something quick.
    Making bread is easier with the right tools, like a good mixer that can do the kneading for you...you probably already have something!
    It's good to know that you're seeing a difference. You've got a wonderful family,
    Love you, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liza, I love the serenity prayer. Wow I needed to read that. I love seeing how God works in my life too. Thanks for all your help you give to me and my family. You are such an example to me. We are making baby steps forward but it is still steps forward and that is all that matters. Love you!

    ReplyDelete