My Garden

My Garden

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Anxiously Waiting


I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Feingold diet information packet.  It has been a little over a week now since I placed the order and I am starting to lose some steam.   I even allowed my children to have an Oreo cookie yesterday at the swim park (offered to them by a friend of course.  I would never…) and since we have not officially started and who knows if Oreos are even on the “cannot have” list (Although I do have a sneaking suspicion they are) but how can I be sure, I don’t have the actual list yet.  So I allowed my children to partake and after all, “it is rude to say no thank you if someone offers you something, mom.” Isaac said.  I think I need to have the talk about “Say No to Drugs” with him so in the future he can’t use that as an excuse for smoking.  “How could I refuse mom, they offered the cigarette to me.”  I can see where I have been lacking in some of the areas that a mother should teach her child.  He is my first so I am still learning on him.  Poor kid. 

I have also been grappling with a moral dilemma.  I thought about calling Dr. Laura (is she still around?) As I have started cleaning out the pantry I wondered if I should offer my “poisonous” food to someone or not.  I have been brought up with the belief of “waste not want not”.  I am a person who likes to use all the leftovers and not keep extra in the house.  It feels cluttery.  If I bought something I want to get my moneys worth.  It’s kind of like the sunk cost fallacy.  When you invest time or money in something, even if it is a dud, you will continue to invest more time and money in hopes that someday it will work out. (like a lemon car or a dumb movie)  How many of us walk out of a stupid movie if we have paid full price for it?  Now that’s something to think about, isn’t itJ  So it is terribly difficult to imagine throwing most of the food in my pantry into the garbage.  Now some might argue that this is what I should do because after all it is poison to most of us.  But I haven’t come to that firm of a testimony yet; maybe someday I will.

I settled on giving the food to a dear friend of mine who is moving and could use some extra food.  I felt a little bad offering someone something like drugs but they are on food stamps and she isn’t quite ready to phase into this new lifestyle change so the guilt is not too intense as I justify this action of sharing with my neighbor.  I suppose I am still in the conventional moral reasoning stage of Kolbergs Moral reasoning theory.  How I actually made my decision was based on charity to a needy family that could use the food.  So maybe I am in the Higher law stage of moral reasoning?  Who knows?  Anyway she seemed grateful for the food offer.  I will take it over in a few days when she settles into her new house.    

This new diet to some might seem extreme and to others not extreme enough.  All I can say is; what’s right for one family might not be right for another family.  But I’m pretty sure it would be right for almost everyone in the world.  I’m just saying…J

No comments:

Post a Comment