My Garden

My Garden

Sunday, August 28, 2011

So Far So Good

I have survived the first week of major diet changes.  My house is almost 100% Feingold approved (except for grandmas food stuff we are storing).  My kids keep asking me if this food is in our diet.  I have actually stocked up on some "safe junk food" for them so they will think the change is good.  It is an attempt to win them over to my team.  Slight manipulation if you must know the truth.  I bought things like Pringles and Potato chips, Special K cereal, gourmet chocolate chips, I made cookies.  This will probably slow down as we get used to the new diet but I might as well WOW them at first with all the cool safe stuff we can eat instead of restricting everything that they are used to and having them hate me for ruining their lives.  I can already hear it "mom I wish we never would have started this new diet! Why can't we have anything yummy anymore."  The truth is I am amazed at how many safe things we can have and how normal life can still be.  Many more home cooked meals is the biggest change.  

There are a few areas in which this might get tricky.  For example we are going to an after season soccer party on Thursday.  We will be roasting hot-dogs and marshmallows which is gross in and of itself (hot-dogs yuck!).  Do we not attend?  Do we bring our own food? Do we feed our kids before hand? Or none of the above and eat the hot-dogs provided?  I have opted to talk with the person in charge and bring our own. (Yes certain hot-dogs are on the acceptable foodlist-I couldn't believe it either)

If I am in charge of the party we will have no dilemmas.  But going places will and have posed a problem.  In fact this last weekend Sheldon took Isaac to a family reunion.  I had prepped Sheldon for the appropriate food Isaac could eat but instead they had KFC and Hamburgers.  This minor infraction did create a night of regrettable words spoken between us grownups of the house (forgiveness certainly is a necessary process in marriage).  My only complaint is Sheldon has not done the research and speaks from ignorance.  He wants to fight me on some things without any base to draw from; thinking I am just an overly paranoid little woman (Grrrrrr).  Perhaps some of my frustrations were taken out on him last night because I had just learned the discouraging truth about the need to make my own bread from now on.  

I have learned from the support group at Fiengold, which consists of other Feingold parents, that I am going to have to make my own bread.  There are too many hidden preservatives and ingredients in store bread that I can't trust it.  I of course can buy the expensive sprouted breads or some frozen bread which still needs time to rise and bake.  I'm sure at times this will be what I opt for.  I did attempt to make my own bread the other day and hated every minute of it.  I don't have the  right equipment and had to kneed the dough for 20 min. by hand.  Cursing as I went, I vowed never to repeat this bread making process again if I could help it.  Well I guess I will have to change my belief that making bread is hard and start training myself to believe "bread making is a joy.  I love making homemade bread.  I know what it feels like to love making bread."  I'm sure if I meditate on this I will be able to make this a truth for me:)  One mom said after 4 years of making bread she could do it in her sleep.  I hope so because I will be so exhausted from daily bread making I will probably be half asleep as I go.  The domestic arts have never been my strength (gulp).


No comments:

Post a Comment