My Garden

My Garden

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fiengold Diet has Begun

My packet of information from Feingold finally arrived on Monday.  Its a good thing too because on Sunday my household was melting down.  Isaac (9) was busy crying, fighting, feeling sorry for himself, talking back...you name it he did it.  It all started at church when I wouldn't let him lay down on me.  He's nine years old.  I mean really...Well it actually all started the day before with camping.  My kids tanked up on Tang, Rootbeer, and syrup for the pancakes.  All notorious for food dyes and chemicals.  Annie (8) was wiggly and restless.  When this occurs she likes to irritate her younger siblings.  Then they scream and cry and it is one endless round of noise and chaos.  I actually was quite amazed to see such a direct correlation to these food chemicals and my children's behavior.  It has renewed my commitment and I'm anxious to start.

These last few days have been intense studying, shopping, and meal planning.  I feel like a young collage student again cramming for exams.  The only difference this time is I want to learn the material.  I am not being force by some bureaucracy telling me I need to learn the information in order to be a well rounded potential employee.  No hoops to jump through, no grades to work for, no pressure to perform.  Learning what I want when I want.  I love the freedom!  I suppose this is slightly ironic due to the fact that I teach at the collage level.  And the class I teach is "required" for many majors.  Although I am certain my students love my class.  

Yesterday was the big shopping day.  With my new "food bible" and list in hand, I embarked on this slightly overwhelming task.  2 1/2 hours and $200 later, I walked in my door exhausted, proud, and somewhat discouraged.  Discouraged only because our local grocery store is lacking in many of the acceptable products.  I'm sure I could have spent another 2 hours looking at food labels but my ambition and energy was waning.  For someone who is not a big shopper (me!) in the first place, this was a great feat of endurance.  I keep telling myself, "Don't worry, it will get easier.  You're on the steepest part of the learning curve."  Pep talks are a sure way to keep myself motivated.  I read a plaque once that said, "I'm not a nag.  I'm a motivational speaker."  I loved it.

We officially started the diet today.  Nothing has changed yet in my children's behavior :) but my hopes have not been dashed yet.  The expected signs of improvement could take up to four weeks to see.  This seems like a safe window of time, don't you think?  I'll keep you posted with any sudden developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment